Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Why I do what I do

There are many reasons why I enjoy my practice of law, but no more so than the reason I was reminded of this afternoon as I conducted a real estate closing for a young, recently married couple buying their first home together. It was late in the afternoon and the air was palpable with excitement. It was clear that the sellers and the buyers have gotten along wonderfully from the outset, and the atmosphere was friendly and collegial. There was much chatter and laughter throughout the closing. When we finished signing the papers and the ceremonial transfer of keys occurred, they broke out a bottle of champagne and disposable glasses that they had brought along, poured a glass for everyone in the room, and toasted the celebration of this new milestone in their lives. We sat in the conference room enjoying our champagne, trading stories and laughing for close to another half hour. Everyone hugged one other as they departed, and my clients left agog with the excitement of going to spend their first night together in their new house. Watching this process unfold over the course of the afternoon, and witnessing the excitement in my clients' faces, I was reminded again why I do what I do-- while I certainly enjoy the intellectual and technical challenges that practicing law provides, it's the relationships I build with the people whose paths I cross, the ways in which I am able to help them achieve their goals, and the joy and satisfaction I get from knowing that I can make a positive difference that really mean the most. So here's a toast to the new homeowners-- may you build a happy home together, and thank you for allowing me to help you start on your way.

No comments: